The Department of Social Work in Vijayanagara Sri Krishanadevaraya University, Ballari was established in the year of 2010 to meet the pressing need for scientific education and training in professional social work education. It is equipped with modern infrastructure like class rooms with Smart Board, LCD Projector, computer Lab with internet connectivity, Uninterrupted Wi-Fi connectivity.
The Participatory Pedagogy, Field Work Practicum, Seminars, Workshops, Training programmes, Community Camps, Exposure Visits, Community Extension Programmes, Student Mentoring, and Special Lecture aims to attain overall development of students with providing, soft skills, life skills, research skills, computer skills, communication skills, and documentation skills.
Department offered Master’s Degree in Social Work (MSW) with three specializations namely Community Development, Medical & Psychiatric Social Work and Human Resource Management. The department also has the Ph.D program. Thirteen Candidates have been admitted since 2013-14 out of which four candidates awarded Ph.D Degree. Research Scholars are perceived/perceiving their research by availing Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), National Fellowship for Scheduled Tribe (NFST) facilities..
The faculty members have rich experience in teaching and research in the various fields of Social Work. One Minor research project is completed and three minor research projects are undergoing. The Department specifically trains its students to cater the needs of civil society organizations which play an important role in the present society. The Department is organising series of the outreach programs.
The students are worked in Adopted Village i.e., Handihall Village and Ballari Two Slums (Samatha Colony and Koracha Colony) Under VASA Suraksha Yojana. Students have conducted Participatory Rural Appraisal Program in creating awareness about health and hygiene in the Village and also training school students in creating awareness about sanitation personal hygiene in the adopted village and slums.
The students have intervened in preventing child marriages in Ballari District in collaboration with the District Child Protection Unit. The Department organises World Social Work Day every year
To groom the generations of world-class professional social workers by imparting most significant knowledge, skills, attitude and values aimed at individual, group and societal wellness
• To evolve best practices in the areas of social work education, research, publication, extension and consultancy services in collaboration with Governmental and Non-Governmental Organizations to ensure sustainable, just, equitable and humane development.
• To improve the well-being of vulnerable individuals and communities, advance social and economic justice, and eradicate pressing societal problems in complex and culturally diverse urban environments throughout the nation and the world. Our mission is achieved through value-driven, scholarly and creative social work education, research, and professional leadership.
• Educate professional social workers with the knowledge, skills, and values needed to engage in culturally competent practice with diverse populations and communities, to critically analyze personal, familial and environmental factors affecting practice settings and practice techniques, and to advocate for those who confront barriers to maximizing the achievement of their fullest potential.
• Engage in scholarly activities that contribute to professional knowledge about complex social problems and innovative approaches to ameliorate those problems.
• Provide service to local, national, and international communities through the development of an participation in collaborations with Social Agencies, Community-Based Organizations, Government, and Foundations.