The department of Library and Information Science has been started by VSKUB this academic year 2016-17. Department offers two years PG degree course in Master of Library and Information Science [M.L.I.Sc], Based on Choice Based Credit System[CBCS]. The course is designed to suit to the changing needs of the modern society. Greater emphasis has been laid in the curricula on IT oriented areas and practical aspects. The department is well equipped with modern facilities that are required to train and provide the excellent LIS professionals to the society.
The Students who successfully completed their degree course (Any Degree) are eligible to apply for the Master of Library and Information Science Course.
2 Years (4 Semesters)
The following teaching methods are used for class-room teaching in the Department:,
- Lecture Method with ICT application
- Group discussion
- Tutorial Method
- Library Educational Visits and Tours for practical exposure and in-hand experience
Librarianship as a profession provides a variety of employment opportunities. Today there are a number of career prospects in Library and Information Science. The qualified professionals are employed in various libraries and information Centers. Trained library professionals can find opportunities for employment both as teacher and as a Librarian. In fact, it is possible to choose the kind of library to suit one’s interest and background. In Librarianship, designations could be Librarian, Documentation Officer, Assistant Librarian, Deputy Librarian, Scientist (Library Science/ Documentation), Library and Information Officer, Knowledge Manager/ Officer, Information Executive, Director/Head of Library Services, Information Officer, and Information Analyst where as in teaching profession designations could be Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor.
- In School, College, Universities.
- In Central Government Libraries.
- In the training centers of banks.
- In National Museum and Archives
- In NGOs working in different areas.
- In R&D Centre like ICAR, CSIR, DRDO, ICSSR, ICHR, ICMR, ICFRE, etc.
- In Business Houses.
- In Foreign Embassies and High Commissions.
- In International Centers like WHO, UNESCO, UNO, World Bank etc.
- In the libraries of Ministries and other government departments.
- In National Level Documentation Centers.
- In Library Networks.
- In the newspaper libraries.
- In News Channels.
- In the Libraries of Radio Stations.
- In the Databases provider firms.
- In publishing companies for preparing Index, abstracts, bibliographies etc.
- In various digital library projects like ‘Digital Library of India’ etc.
- In Training Academies.